Summer is here, which means it's time to enjoy the sunshine and soak up some Vitamin D. However, it's important to remember that the sun's rays can harm your skin. That's where sunscreen comes in!
In the post, we'll cover everything you need to know about sunscreen, including what it is, how it works, and how to choose the right one for your skin.
And to begin with we read about sunscreen!
What is Sunscreen?
Sunscreen is a topical product designed to protect the skin from the harmful effects of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. It either absorbs or reflects the sun's rays, preventing them from penetrating the skin.
Sunscreen is available in various forms, such as lotions, sprays, gels, and sticks, and should be used regularly to reduce the risk of sunburn, premature ageing, and skin cancer.
What happens without a Sunscreen?
Without sunscreen, your skin is at risk of damage from harmful UV rays. Exposure to the sun's rays can cause various issues, from painful sunburns to premature ageing and even skin cancer. Over time, repeated exposure to the sun without protection can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and other signs of damage.
Spending time in the sun without protection can also adversely affect your health. For example, sunburns can cause dehydration and fever, and excessive exposure to the sun can lead to heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
Let us read further how sunscreen helps you?
How Does Sunscreen Help?
This is how sunscreen can help you:
- Protects the skin from the harmful effects of the sun's UV rays
- Reduces the risk of sunburn, premature ageing, and skin cancer
- Blocks both UVA and UVB radiation from penetrating the skin
- Absorbs or reflects the sun's rays depending on the type of sunscreen used
- Prevents sun damage to the skin's DNA and reduces the risk of mutations
- Helps to avoid discoloration, hyperpigmentation, and age spots
- Keeps the skin looking healthy and youthful
- It can be worn year-round to protect the skin from sun damage
- Helps to prevent heat exhaustion and heat stroke by reducing the amount of heat absorbed by the skin.
How to Choose the Right Sunscreen?
You might be thinking that any or all sunscreen may suit your skin type. Well, it may not.
Let us see how you can choose the right sunscreen.
- Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation.
- Choose a sunscreen with a minimum SPF (sun protection factor) of 30, which blocks about 97% of UVB radiation.
- For water activities or activities that cause sweating, choose a water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Reapply it every two hours.
- If you have sensitive skin or a history of allergies, look for a fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and non-comedogenic sunscreen.
- Pick a sunscreen with a light and non-greasy texture so it does not leave any residue or white cast on the skin.
- If you have dry skin, choose a sunscreen with moisturising ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerin.
- If you have oily or acne-prone skin, select a sunscreen that is oil-free and non-comedogenic.
- Consider choosing a mineral or physical sunscreen containing ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide that reflect UV rays if you have sensitive skin.
- Check the sunscreen's expiration date and ensure it has not expired.
Sunscreen is essential to any skincare routine, and choosing the right one for your skin type and lifestyle is essential. By understanding the basics of sunscreen, you can protect your skin from harmful UV rays and enjoy the sun safely. Shop your body care products from Mellow to nurture the skin carefully and prevent uncalled ageing and skin dullness.